The Journey

As soon as Sandy saw me she knew the news was not good.

29/12/2019 (Sunday) – Woke up in the morning and mentioned to Sandy that my chest felt a bit tight and I had a little difficulty breathing – short of breath, nothing much to worry about in my opinion and consequently didn’t really worry too much about it.

Sandy responded by saying that I should see a doctor and subsequently made an appointment at the Southcare Medical Centre at Sheido Park at 14:40hrs on the following day (Monday).

30/12/2019 (Monday) – Woke up feeling fine, no breathing issues, no chest tightness…no nothing and proceeded to enjoy the day. Went to see the doctor (under sufferance) he listened to my lungs, performed a blood pressure test and a oxygen saturation test. Dr Colin Callagher (now my new personal physician) said my Oxygen saturation level was down and that I should go to the hospital immediately to get checked out for potential heart condition. 
I was a little taken aback to say the least as I felt fine.
Sandy and I went straight to the Flinders Medical Emergency Centre, I was admitted at 16:14hrs into the Flinders Private Hospital where they proceeded to run appropriate heart tests, ECG, Blood Tests, etc.
I thought I would be in and out after they identifed that I had not had a heart condition however they had me stay in over night for observation, etc…

The prognosis of life expectancy is three to six months if not treated…I didn’t hear the rest of the conversation. I was thinking bullshit, inside of four days my life expectancy has gone from two to five years down to a matter of months…FUCK ME!

31/12/2019 (Tuesday) – Stayed overnight in Coronary Care Unit (CCU) and had a Computed Tomography Pulmonary Angiogram (CTPA) to check for blood clots in pulmonary arteries and a Mode 2 Dimensional Real Time Echocardiographic Examination of the heart was performed to ensure there were no blood clots or other nasties, etc.

The results were all good, the attending physician came into my room and said “Good news – No signs of heart attack or blood clots…but have found a mass on the top right hand lung which we suspect is cancer, prognisis is two to five years life expectancy with treatment”.

I was speechless, admitted with suspected, potential heart condition and diagnosed with Lung Cancer – WTF…I had had absolutly no symptoms whatsoever…NONE!

I was left to digest that and was told a Lung Specialist would come into see me later.

When the Lung Specialist (Dr Vinod Aiyappan) came to see me he reiterated the “findings” and suggested that I undergo a series of tests and scans, etc. to ascertain exactly what we would be dealing with, which he subsequently arranged to happen over the next few days 

I was told by the nursing staff that I was lucky to have seen the Lung Specialist that I saw (Dr Vinod Aiyappan) as in their view he was one of the best and as it turned out he was; to arrange all of the tests, etc that I was to undergo over the Xmas/New year period was a pretty amazing effort to say the least. 

I had a Multiple Diagnostic Image Computerised Tomography (CT) Scan of brain and spiral angiography with intravenous contrast (dye) medium which injected onto the veins. 

Echocardiograph Examination
Small Cell Lung Cancer Cells
Computerised Tomography (CT) Scan

2 thoughts on “The Journey”

    1. It was somewhat discombobulating to say the least, but at the end of the day it is what it is and there is nothing you can do about it other than take each day as it comes.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap